Baked mac n cheese might be one of the few dishes that can please children and adults of all ages alike. Children enjoy a hearty serving without making any fuss, whereas adults treat it like the ultimate comfort food; there is rarely anyone who wouldn’t enjoy a bowl of mac n cheese. A minor problem arises when you end up with leftovers. When you reheat baked mac n cheese, it is very easy for it to dry out. So it is necessary to learn the proper method of warming it up so you don’t end up with a dried out mess.
How to Store?
Stored in a tightly covered container, your baked mac n cheese will stay good for up to 2 to 3 days in the fridge. Let it cool at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before covering it with an airtight lid or plastic wrap and putting it in the fridge.
Divide the leftover mac n cheese in single serving portions, and store them in separate freezer bags. This will make it more convenient to pull out exactly the amount you need in the future, instead of having to thaw the whole dish. These will stay good in the freezer for up to 2 months.
How to Reheat Baked Mac n Cheese?
Following are the best methods to reheat baked mac n cheese.
An oven is usually the best option when it comes to reheating any sort of food, and mac n cheese is no different. It lets you heat a large batch of food at a time, and heats everything evenly for ideal results. The only drawback of an oven is that it requires a little extra time and effort. So unless you are in a hurry, just go with this method.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Put the mac n cheese in an oven-safe dish. It is ideal to use a glass dish
- Pour a little milk over he macaroni for added moisture; about one tablespoon per cup of mac n cheese
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil
- Let it heat for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove the foil and let it heat for another 5 to 10 minutes until everything is heated through
- If you want, you can add some extra cheese after removing the foil for an extra topping
- Remove from the oven and serve.
The next best option after an oven is to use a microwave. It is quick, and does the job pretty well. So if you are in a hurry, this may be your best option.
- Put the mac n cheese in a microwave-safe bowl
- Add a little milk to restore moisture. The amount will depend on your leftovers; start by adding one tablespoon, and then add extra if you think it needs more
- Cover the dish with a plastic wrap, but leave it partially open so excess steam can be released
- Place the dish in the microwave and heat it for 60 seconds for single serving, or up to 90 seconds for larger portion
- Remove from the microwave and stir
- Heat in 30 second intervals until it reaches desired temperature
- Remove from the microwave and serve.