There is nothing like having a dinner of steaming hot sweet and sour chicken gravy with crunchy bell peppers and onion, and moist chicken chunks. No wonder it is one of the favorite Chinese dishes for many! However, reheating Chinese food usually ends up with a rubbery, dry taste. But wait, you don’t have to throw away the leftovers. You can easily reheat sweet and sour chicken and maintain its scrumptious taste if you use the right reheating technique.
Two Ways to Reheat Sweet and Sour Chicken
Here are the two ways you can reheat that delicious sweet and sour chicken from a night before:
Option 1: Use the Oven to Reheat Sweet and Sour Chicken
One of the best ways of maintaining the same quality and freshness of sweet and sour chicken is to reheat it in an oven. Here’s how:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the gravy in an oven-safe container or dish.
- Cover the dish with foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Place the dish in the oven and let it warm for ten to 20 minutes. You might have to leave it longer for larger quantity.
- Carefully take it out and enjoy!
This method takes longer to reheat, but it gives the best result. You can repeat these steps in a toaster oven as well.
Option 2: Opt for the Microwave to Reheat
While microwave is a great option to quickly reheat your meal, it can often leave the sweet and sour soggy. The reason? Reheating fried food in the microwave is not exactly a good option. Unless you are short on time or are supper hungry, you can reheat the chicken on the stove and gravy in the microwave.
There is still a way:
- Take out the chicken from the gravy
- Pour the gravy in a microwave-safe container and put it in the microwave
- Heat for two to three minutes.
- In the meantime, lightly reheat the fried chicken in a sauce pan.
- Once the gravy is warmed up, add the reheated chicken in the gravy.
Alternatively, you can also reheat the entire sweet and sour chicken on the stove using a saucepan.
Tips to Keep Leftover Gravy Safe
Many people get sick every year just from eating leftover food that wasn’t stored or reheated properly. Therefore, it is essential to thoroughly reheat the cook before eating. Aside from that, follow these simple tips to keep the leftover safe and prevent you from getting sick:
Immediately refrigerate the leftover when you are done eating. It is best to store it in the fridge within two hours.
- Store the sweet and sour chicken in an airtight and clean container
- Make sure the refrigerator temperature is around 40°F or low
- Never leave the leftover for too long. Consume it within the next two to three days
You can now enjoy the sweet and sour chicken for yet another meal. Make sure it is thoroughly warmed up. Enjoy!