Couscous is a staple dinner option for many people because it is not just scrumptious but also super easy to cook, making it a perfect quick meal. It is also one of the most versatile dishes that can go with any main meal or as a lunch option. You can make a big pot of couscous and safe some for later. But, how to reheat couscous in a way that it doesn’t lose its delicious taste? This article highlights two simple reheating methods.
How to Reheat Couscous Safely? Basic Steps Explained
There are two ways to reheat leftover couscous:
Reheating in a Microwave
Here are the steps to safely reheat your leftover couscous:
- Start by placing the couscous in a microwave-safe container
- Next, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water for every cup of couscous
- Gently stir the mixture
- Cover the container with the cover or plastic wrap as it will help in retaining the moisture
- Place it in the microwave for around one minute
- Check to see if it has been thoroughly reheated
- If not, reheat for another few seconds
Season with pepper and salt. Enjoy!
Reheating on the Stove
Here is how to reheat leftover couscous on a stove:
- Transfer the couscous in a pot and place it on the stove
- Keep the heat low
- Add around 3 tablespoons of water for each cup of couscous. Avoid adding too much water as it will ruin the taste. You just need enough to create some steam to reheat the mixture.
- Keep stirring the pot to prevent the couscous from sticking to the pot
- Once it is thoroughly warmed up, transfer in a dish and serve.
You can add a little bit of butter while reheating to add some flavor. You can also substitute water with butter or oil. Just keep stirring the mixture to prevent it from getting fluffed up.
Tips to Properly Restore Your Leftover Couscous
To make sure your couscous reheats properly, you must know how to store it the right way. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure to spread all the leftover couscous so that it cools down evenly
- Don’t leave couscous for more than two hours in room temperature
- Avoid putting warm couscous in the refrigerator as it will only elevate the temperature inside affecting the rest of the food as well
- Place it in an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator away from other containers so that the air properly circulates and keep all leftover food safe
- Make sure to consume the leftovers within the next three days
If you follow these steps the reheated couscous will taste as delicious as the day you cooked it.