Pasta carbonara hails from Rome, Italy. The dish gained popularity after WWII, and since then, people from all across the globe have come to love pasta carbonara. If you’ve made carbonara and want to freeze the remaining, we’ve one question for you, “Do you know how to reheat carbonara?”
If you don’t know how to reheat this delicious and mouthwatering dish, you’ve come to the right place to learn how to reheat your stored carbonara, making it flavorful and tasty once again!
Reheat Carbonara on the Stove
Follow these steps to reheat your pasta carbonara in the stove:
- Remove the carbonara from the fridge.
- Put it aside to cool at room temperature.
- Put 2 tsp. of olive oil into a pan and put it on the stove over medium heat to preheat it.
- Put the carbonara pasta into the pan.
- Reheat the pasta for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove, transfer the pasta into a plate, serve, and enjoy.
*Tip: Does the carbonara look a little dry to you? If it does, add 1 tsp. of olive oil into the pan at a time until the carbonara no longer appears dry.
Tip: Even though using a microwave to reheat carbonara is not recommended, as it can affect its freshness and taste, you can still use it. If you plan to use a microwave to reheat carbonara, put the pasta into a microwave-safe, and use wax paper to cover it.
How to Store Carbonara
Follow these steps if you need to store pasta carbonara:
- After you’ve cooked the pasta carbonara, cover it with a lid and put it on the kitchen counter to cool for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- If steam is still coming from the carbonara, angle the lid, so the pasta is slightly uncovered for at least 10 to 15 minutes to allow the steam to exit.
- Transfer the carbonara to a plastic bag or a food storage container. If using a food storage container, fill the food storage container as much as you can with the carbonara to avoid extra air. If using a plastic bag, squeeze all extra out of it before you seal it closed.
- Store the sealed pasta in the fridge, storing it for up to 4 days.
Follow these directions to cook pasta carbonara
- 1 lb. of pasta
- 1 tbsp. of salt
- 1 lb. of bacon, thick cut and diced
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp. of black pepper, grounded
- 1 1/2 cup of pecorino Romano cheese, grated and divided
- 2 tbsp. of parsley for garnishing, chopped
- Add water to a large saucepan, season it with salt, put it over the stove, and bring it to a boil.
- Cook pasta as per the instructions on the package.
- Before draining, reserve 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook bacon in a saucepan over medium heat until crisp for around 7 to 19 minutes. Drain far from back and reserve only 2 tbsps. of bacon grease.
- Put eggs, egg yolks, and 1 cup of cheese in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Put the pasta with the bacon and add 2 tbsp. of the reserved bacon grease.
- Add the egg mixture into the pasta, tossing for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with the rest of the cheese, black pepper, and sprinkle parsley on top.
Now that you know how to reheat carbonara, you can store it and enjoy it later.