You have a tasty pie that you bought from the store, or you baked it last night but ended up with leftovers. Now, you’re suddenly craving for the pie, so you take it out in the fridge, staring at it and wondering how to reheat a pie.
If you’re thinking of a microwave, we’ll advise you to steer clear of reheating your pie in the microwave for one reason – it’ll ruin the pastry’s texture. So, what reheating method do we recommend you use? We say go with the oven method to reheat your store-bought or leftover pie.
How to Reheat a Fully Baked Pie
Do the following:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper and then lightly cover it with aluminum foil.
- If you have a 9” pie, reheat it for around 15 to 20 minutes. If you have a 5” pie, reheat it for about 12 to 15 minutes with turnovers taking around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Since every oven is built differently, the number of minutes you reheat the pie for will differ.
- Remove the pie from the oven when it has been fully reheated.
- Put the knife in the middle of the pie, holding it in that position for about 15 seconds, and then hold it to your lips to see if it has been reheated properly or needs a few more minutes in the oven.
Reheating a Frozen Pie
Do the following:
- Put the frozen pie in the fridge for around 6 to 8 hours. This allows the pie to defrost evenly.
- Use aluminum foil to wrap the pie to prevent burning.
- Put the pie in the oven before preheating it.
- Adjust the temperature to 390 degrees Fahrenheit and after 10 minutes, lower the temperature to 338 degrees Fahrenheit to 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reheat the pie for an additional 10 minutes.
How to Freeze a Pie
If you don’t plan to eat the pie you baked or you bought it from the store right away, you can store it in the fridge. Twice wrap the pie using a plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer bag and then into a box. You can use any box. If you bought it from a store, put it in there. If you baked it at home, find an unused box at home to place the wrapped and bagged pie in. You can keep the pie in the freezer for several months without it spoiling or losing its taste.
Even though we don’t recommend using the microwave method to reheat pies because it can leave the crust soggy, you can use it if you don’t have any other option or you don’t want to wait for the pie to reheat.
We recommend microwaving for around 2 to 3 minutes to reheat a pie. The number of minutes you microwave your pie depends on your microwave’s power. Next, you need to put the pie on the stove to reheat it for an additional 3 minutes to ensure the crust remains crispy.