Thank you to our wonderful Cookus Interruptus viewers for your insightful responses. From your comments I compiled this list.
1. CONTROL – you decide what goes in the food. Fresh local organic, salt, no salt, meat or not, quality of ingredients are all your decision.
2. LOCAL SUPPORT – of farms, CSAs, coops, grocery stores and farmer’s markets helps keep the local economy strong.
3. TASTE – with good quality ingredients you can make food taste better at home than many (most) restaurants. Certainly better than frozen or take-out.
4. EDUCATION – eating at home models the value of time spent with family at the table to your children. Learning how to prepare meals is a life skill all children need to learn.
5. ECONOMICAL – less money is spent cooking at home.
6. HEALTH – people who cook their own food tend to enjoy better health.
7. EFFICIENT – you can utilize leftovers, create enough food for lunch boxes, set aside fresh food for baby as you prepare a simple meal.
8. SKILL-BUILDING – cooking is an art and a craft. Unlike sewing a dress or building a cabinet, the results of your talent are immediate and edible.
9. ATMOSPHERE – a house where there is food cooking becomes a home, a place to be nourished.
10. LOVE – the time, energy and good thoughts you put into the food goes into yourself and your family.