The Bastyr University Bookstore has offered up this new book written by two of our alums, Dr. Lisa Price and nutritionist Susan Gins, who saw a need and filled it beautifully.
The book offers over 100 quick and delicious recipes that provide nutrients essential at each stage of treatment while avoiding pro-inflammatory foods such as processed sugars, dairy, and gluten that may increase side effects. The recipes in this user-friendly cookbook:
- Will not interfere or reduce the effectiveness of conventional treatment
- Address the most common side effects of conventional treatment such as diarrhea, fatigue, insomnia, nausea, joint pain, chemo brain, and loss of appetite
- Use widely available ingredients and are easy to prepare
- Are packed with flavor and aesthetic appeal
- Provide essential vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients
- Complement each other for a therapeutic balance of protein, good fats, carbohydrates, and fiber
If you know someone who is challenged by cancer treatment, I’m sure you’d like to win a copy. Here’s how:
1. Be a subscriber of Cookus Interruptus Not a subscriber yet? Type your email address in the subscribe box right up there on the upper right corner of the whole website. I check and reject any winner that’s not one of our subscribers.
2. Be a friend on Cookus Interruptus facebook. Not our facebook friend? Easy. Go to the Cookus Facebook page and click the thumbs up “like”.
3. What food did your mom give you to eat when you were sick as a child? June tried to interest me in “milk toast” – basically toast soaked in warm milk. I wasn’t interested. At some point I graduated to tomato soup and 7-up, which likely didn’t help my physical recovery much but lifted my spirits Okay. YOUR TURN. Type your answer as a comment to this post.
4. Contest ends at 5 pm on September 13th . PLEASE check your email on September 14th. The junk mail folder and everything. We’ve been having some trouble with lost emails to winners. The winners will be chosen by random.org. If you don’t respond to your “winner” email within 48 hours, we will choose a new winner (tough love…).